An Abridged Guide and Index of Interior Design
• Section One: Interior Design Images •
• Section Two: The Weekly Article •
• With traditional homes, incorporating modern pieces that have detail and character to them is critical for an appealing space.
• Using contemporary furniture works best in modern spaces, and rustic features work well in more modern farmhouse/rural homes – with this being said, try to mix and match your styles – the best way to design a room without character is to design without a variety of styles, like having a room with only modern pieces...No, no, no!
• To begin, start with observing your flooring. Typically, in the spaces you are designing, you do not have a choice over altering your flooring material or color. (Additionally, in some cases, you also do not have the choice to alter your wall color, either.) In these cases, base your room around these aspects. The best spaces come out of this method, because they typically turn out uniquely, and they don’t clash – in fact, they flow perfectly!
• For example, if you have a non-trending orange tinted floor, do not fret. You wouldn’t believe the shades of orange you can beautifully incorporate into your space for ‘pop,’ as well as other natural colors.
• Take a look at this photo, where the designer worked with their orange flooring to make a beautiful space. Observe how they brought out the orange features in their furniture with blue, white, and pink compliments, and finished it off with gorgeous neutrals.
• Secondly, choose a rug. Rooms without rugs are too sterile and aren’t cozy. Choosing rugs can be difficult, but you want a rug that blends in with the room, and adds a nice touch to it – you don’t want it to stand out too much. The best rugs are the ones that have multiple colors and designs. Use this rubric to help which rug colors go best with your room:
|First Color (Main Color) •||Second Color (Accents, Design) •||Third & Fourth Color|
|Rustic Gray, Rustic White,
Slight Brown Color
|Main Theme Color of the Room
(A 'Pop' Color)
|Second 'Pop' Color,
or Darker Neutral
Attractive carpets can also have more neutrals and 'pops' for fifth and sixth colors – those are my favorites!